Image Map

Monday, March 31, 2014

M is for Mathematical Monday: Fractions

Look at me... 2 posts in 2 days!  I really wrote this yesterday, but otherwise I'd never get anything posted!!!

I'm linking up with Jess over at I {Heart} Recess for her M is for Mathematical Monday linky party.

For the past month or so, my students have been investing fractions in our 4th unit of 4th grade math.  I saw several awesome posts from Meg over at The Teacher Studio about how she's taught fractions to her own kiddos.  So I decided to buy her fraction concept sorts for my own students and they did such a wonderful job with them! I had my students work with their table groups (groups of 5) to cut and sort the pictures by exactly 1/2 and not 1/2.  Then they had to explain why the not 1/2 weren't 1/2.  We then did a carousal walk to check each other's work. It's a lot of pictures, but I was too proud not to share!











The green flags are in an incorrect sort.  I think it was the only one in the whole class!




I love seeing the mathematical explanations!  This was a struggle for some, but overall they did really well!


Thanks to Meg for creating such a wonderful resource that requires that deeper thinking the Core is known for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and hearing from all my blogger friends! I like to respond via email so make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...