Image Map

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Lockdown Drill

Today we had our first lockdown drill.  Can I just say that these are my least favorite kind of drills.  The kids had all been prepped for the drill, but that didn't stop them from asking a thousand "what if" questions, some of which stumped me.  I explained to the students where each would go and why it was safe to be there.  For our drill today, we actually our 2nd class, not our homeroom, which added a different level of anxiety for the students.   The students knew the time the drill was happening, and they were visibly on edge as the clocked ticked closer to 1:00.  As my students went to their safe spots and I turned out the lights, I couldn't help but think about what I would actually do in a true lockdown...
During the drill, I crouch down with my students trying to keep them all quiet. I get jumpy just doing the drill as my principal comes down the hall to check to make sure that my door is locked by jiggling the knob.  My heart beats fast and double and triple count my students.

I hate it that we have to have lockdown drills.  I hate it that I have to explain to innocent 9 and 10 year olds that someone might come to our school wanting to hurt them.  I hate it that scenarios like this have actually happened in our country.  I don't want to get all political, and start a gun debate, but schools should be a safe place.  My heart has been heavy all day as my mind drifts to the teachers and students who have had real lockdowns, some that have ended tragically. I pray that I never must encounter such an ordeal.  I pray that gun violence will be brought under control.  I pray that no child will fear coming to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and hearing from all my blogger friends! I like to respond via email so make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...